Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Adventures with Rob Baker

Photo essay time.

Rob T. Baker, Esquire: My old friend (and esteemed counsel for MGM) is a helluva guy from my brief tenure as an L.A. resident. In town for a Sigur Ros concert, Rob crashed with me for the weekend and we had a blast, drinking and eating our way through Berkeley and San Francisco. The photo below says it all about Rob -- this is not a posed shot, but rather a candid glimpse of an inspired guy making inspired points, his train of thought made somehow more commanding by the presence of an artfully gripped cigarette.



Speaking of Sigur Ros: I went to the show (at Berkeley's Greek Theatre) knowing nothing about the band. Here's what you need to know: They're from Iceland, and the singer sings in a falsetto in a gibberish language he invented himself...which he calls Hopelandic. With his usual gusto, Rob described their sound as "the lament of the sole Heaven's Gate eunuch who missed the Hale-Bopp comet." It was definitely a crazy show, but indisputably memorable, and it culminated in a beautiful crescendo that I happened to capture with my trusty iPhone camera:


...Noted in Berkeley:
It's been a while since I've had the pleasure of visiting Henry's bar (in the lobby of the Hotel Durant in Berkeley), so I took the opportunity of Rob's visit to drop in there. In my trip to the loo, I happened upon this wonderful Berkeley tribute to arch-rival Stanford:


The city:
This was some days later, during a quick detour off of the Bay Bridge onto Treasure Island. I got a view of San Francisco that I rarely get to appreciate and took the opportunity to frame an image of a city that never ceases to charm me. This is a place to be.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

This just brings it all back to me...

I love you, man...

Brotherman said...

By "definitely crazy, but indisputably memorable," do you mean lacking any actual redeeming qualities?
The photo of the bay makes me think of the walk to the bridge for the aniversary, which makes me think of the taste of black licorce from the weeds growing along the path.
As for your friend Rob I'm guessing, by his grip, that cigarettes are'nt his preferred smoke and that tells me he probably alright.

Moe.on.the.Moor said...

I'm liking the urinal more than I should. 1st, it's in the Hotel Durant which I associate with Berkeley MUN and wholesome good fun. 2nd, since Stanford rejected me not once, but twice, I hope you took a mighty pee for me.

Daniel Morris said...

Not to worry, Moe, I took an extended leak right on the logo.

Kristen Salvatore said...

Rob, San Francisco misses you: The masses are weeping in the streets. Blue Plate is draped in black bunting and swearing not to serve delicious appetizers until you return. Worst of all, wine prices are on the rise. Please, Rob, return! We need you!

Unknown said...

I heart you most of all, K!!! VJ & I are trying to plot our final vini-vidi-vici of San Francisco as soon as we possibly can...

B. said...

You have captured the essence of Rob Baker. The "Heaven's Gate" comment is the best piece of music criticism of 2008.

B. said...

Incidentally, I'm glad you got to see what was apparently Sigur Ros's first tour as a four-piece in seven years.

I saw them on Sept. 24, 2001 -- the first concert I had seen after 9/11 -- and it was transcendent. It felt like we were all floating slowly through space. When I saw them again in 2006, they had the whole Amiina/brass marching band thing, and it was all a big distraction.

Daniel Morris said...

b.,

I have to admit that I was moved by the Sigur Ros Experience. The only thing I'd have suggested for improvement: it would've been nice for the singer to banter with the crowd between songs...in Hopelandic. Missed opportunity there.