Thursday, June 5, 2008

Presenting "Qore"


Huge news! I've been a bit radio-silent on this blog for a couple of weeks because I've been eyeball-deep in finishing a secret project that's been filling my plate for many months now. Yesterday, my company (Future US) finally made the joint announcement with SONY (our partner in the project) and I'm delighted to be able to share it with friends and family too.

Late last year when Future partnered with Sony to become the official media partner for the PlayStation brand, we dreamed up a new media product that would essentially be a "digital magazine" for games previews, screenshots, etc – downloaded through the PlayStation itself and controlled with the gamepad. I secured a little R&D funding from my bosses and went to work on a prototype with the very talented guys I manage in the Future Studios group.

The result is finally here: "Qore, Presented by the PLAYSTATION Network." You can get a video preview by following this link, but the short version is that it's a monthly downloadable program full of hi-def video previews, game footage, and lots of cool extras like hi-res screenshot galleries that you can scan-and-pan with your gamepad. Best of all, Sony is bundling the product with exclusive game demos and betas, starting with a major game called SOCOM: Confrontation.

Burger King, Universal Pictures, and several videogame publishers are already involved as advertisers. Sweet!

This is causing a nice stir in digital-media circles – profiles in the SF Chronicle, Wall Street Journal, L.A. Times etc -- and (particularly gratifying to me) it's also getting props from some of the leading venture-capital news sites, where "the next big thing" often finds a tough audience. If a blog like VentureBeat is impressed, then I'm a very happy camper.

Anyway, this is a big day for me, and I'm glad I'm finally able to unveil this project to the world. The gamers among you can look for it on a PlayStation 3 near you…

5 comments:

rakiel said...

well congratulations. i know it been lots of work... does the name have a particular meaning?

Daniel Morris said...

Sony came up with the name...it's pronounced "Core" and it's meant to imply a product serving the hardcore insiders on the PlayStation...

Brotherman said...

Perfect timing. Scince I now own a PS3. I'll be sure to check it out and give you my input as a consumer.
My first thought is that if the user can manipulate the environment then why not use the user. There are a lot of clever young minds willing to work for free. Look at all the open source programming out there.

What do you get if GTA has sex with second life? Now that could be one ugly baby, but I can't waint 'till it's delivered.

Brotherman said...

So I followed the links and read some of the posts. I couldn't help but post my own comment suggesting some guy kill himself.

I saw some video of this Veronica chick and I'm unimpressed. When it comes to geeky girls Morgan Webb is where it's at.

Unknown said...

Congratulations! (Sorry for the tardiness...)