Friday, March 14, 2008

The Morrises Take Cambridge


My sister Katie has been accepted into a doctoral program at Cambridge University, making me insanely proud of her and begging the question -- isn't that in England?? Turns out the answer is yes, which means that my favorite sis is signing up for three years of horrid weather, horrid food, and the educational opportunity of a lifetime.

"Dr. Katharine Zimmerman" will require a bit of an adjustment for me, since I'm always going to think of my sister as the tot who loved to crawl all over the exterior of my dad's car in the parking lot at 7-Eleven. Now that she's an erudite, world-traveling scholar, she completely throws off the curve of Morris-sibling education level. Case in comparison: Cambridge University was founded in 1209 and is regarded as one of the world's premier seats of higher learning; whereas the junior college I attended, West Valley College ("Go...whatever our mascot is!"), was founded in 1963, and mostly produces paralegals and Vietnamese gangsters.

But we still love our egghead sister! Congratulations, Katie...and please be on the lookout for any rampaging Normans or Vikings.

2 comments:

rakiel said...

..and i can only think of her as Doctor Puddin' Head -:)

Daniel - Good thing you and me know we're smatter than her. Keeps us from being jealous. That and the knowledge that she had to work hard and sit through some damn boring lectures!

Note to Puddin' Head: Congratulations - i guess you can have your cake and eat it too!

Kim Morris said...

Dr. Katie...The one who wouldn't play Dominos with us because you have to add!!!!!
Congrats to her of course.....

Great excuse to go on a trip to England next Mom!

Dan-You should be proud!